Tuesday 8 December 2009

The Believer and the Atheist

Two cavemen sat by a fire at night. Suddenly, they heard a strange noise in the darkness and they were afraid. One caveman believed in proof and knowledge. He grabbed a stick from the fire and, using it as a torch, he went to investigate. He believed that if he discovered what made the noise he would no longer be afraid.
The other caveman believed in the Great Spirit. He went onto his knees, lifted his arms into the air and said, “Great Spirit, You who see and hear everything. I am afraid and I do not know what to do. You know what is making this noise even though I do not. Guide me.” He breathed deeply and calmed his mind and in this calm he felt his body relax. It seemed to say: “There is nothing to fear. Go to sleep.” The caveman thanked the Great Spirit and went to sleep by the fire.
Some time later he was awakened by the first caveman who had returned from his investigation.
“I discovered what was making that strange noise,” said the caveman who believed in proof and knowledge. “It was a small bird no bigger than the palm of my hand. There is nothing to fear.”
“I already knew that,” said the caveman who believed in the Great Spirit.
“You knew about the bird?” said the first caveman.
“No,” said the second caveman. “But I knew there was nothing to fear.”
“How could you possibly know that?”
“The Great Spirit told me.”
The caveman who believed in proof and knowledge became angry. He did not believe in the Great Spirit because it was impossible to prove it actually existed.
“You are a fool!” he said.
“How so?” said the other.
“Because you believe in something that cannot be seen, cannot be heard and cannot be felt. That makes you a fool!”
“Perhaps. But may I remind you that we were both afraid when we heard the strange noise. Yet, in spite of that fear, I was able to sleep ... and you were not.”
So saying, the caveman who believed in the Great Spirit went back to sleep while the caveman who believed in proof and knowledge lay awake and nursed his anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment